Subject: Media inquiry - Biometric Update: eEstonia
From: <[email-masked]>
To: "MKM info"
Date: Mon, 6 May 2024 12:30:49 +0300

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

Hello,

My name is Masha Borak and I am a reporter for trade publication Biometric 
Update. We cover news on biometric technology and digital identity.

I am writing to seek clarification on several statements by the Ministry of 
Economic Affairs and Communications regarding Estonia's digital IDs that 
were published by EER: 
https://news.err.ee/1609271010/id-card-to-remain-mandatory-until-european-union-digital-wallet-created

More specifically, I would like to ask your office to clarify whether thee 
will be an obligatory ID in Estonia.

As I understand, the electronic ID is not mandatory to use and if the 
government decided to make the ID card also optional, doesn't that mean that 
all IDs are optional and therefore people don't need to have one? Or does it 
mean that citizens must have one form of ID but they can choose which one?

The article also states: “Since mobile-ID solutions are also voluntary, the 
change would eliminate any obligation for electronic ID.” Could you please 
provide some more context for this?

Thank you very much for your time!

Best,

Masha Borak

[email-masked]
+385957537273