Subject: Inquiry regarding AI-based speech-to-text solution in the Estonian Courts
From: "Souad Bourrid" <[email-masked]>
To: "Justiits- ja Digiministeerium" <[email-masked]>, "Ott Velsberg - JUSTDIGI"
Cc: "International" <[email-masked]>, "Merethe Eckhardt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2026 17:48:20 +0300

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

Dear Ministry of Justice and Digital Affairs of Estonia,

I am writing on behalf of the Danish Court Administration, as we are 
currently examining how courts across Europe are utilising AI technologies 
for translation and voice-to-text services.

In this context, we have taken a particular interest in your AI-based 
speech-to-text solution within the Estonian courts (SALME). Our 
understanding is that Estonia has implemented an AI-based speech-to-text 
system across all courts nationwide. The system supports both real-time and 
post-processing transcription of hearings, including speaker identification, 
with an accuracy of approximately 92 %. It is used in both physical and 
remote hearings, and recordings are made in all cases, which can 
subsequently be either fully transcribed or summarised. Furthermore, SALME 
is integrated into the courts’ existing IT systems and the national 
e-justice infrastructure (KIS and e-File) and operates entirely on 
state-controlled infrastructure rather than public cloud services. The 
solution is understood to have been developed by CGI Estonia and Tilde, with 
the latter providing the speech recognition component. Overall, the system 
appears to be fully implemented and operational at the national level.

We would be grateful if you could confirm whether this understanding of the 
platform and its functionalities is accurate.

In addition, we would highly appreciate any further information you may be 
able to share regarding the current status, implementation, and practical 
use of AI-based speech-to-text solutions within your judicial system, in 
particular:

*	In which types of cases or contexts has the technology been used, and has 
it been fully implemented?
*	Which technical setup is used (e.g., cloud-based, on-premises, or hybrid)? 
If hybrid, we would appreciate further details regarding the distribution of 
responsibilities and data processing.
*	Are there any restrictions on when the solution can or cannot be used?
*	What is the approximate volume of usage?
*	How would you assess the quality of the service?
*	What challenges or limitations have you encountered?

Additionally, if the solution is hosted on government or ministry-controlled 
infrastructure, we would appreciate clarification regarding data access and 
the applicable governance framework.

Any further relevant information you may wish to share would be greatly 
appreciated.

As we intend to use the input for an internal meeting next week, we would 
greatly appreciate it if you could provide your response during the course 
of this week, or at the latest early next week.

We look forward to your response and thank you in advance for your time and 
assistance.

Kind regards

Souad Anaya Bourrid (Ms.)

International Coordinator & Business Developer

Mob: +45 2960 4684

 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]

The Danish Court Administration (Domstolsstyrelsen)

Amagerfaelledvej 56

DK-2300 Copenhagen S

Tel: +45 7010 3322

 <http://www.domstol.dk/> www.domstol.dk