Subject: FW: Inquiry about the possible use in Estonia of temporary registration plates issued by Hungary
From: Tiina Mäll <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2025 12:28:28 +0300

Tere

Palume abi Ungari saatkonnast Tallinnas saabunud päringule vastamisel, mis
puudutab Ungari ajutiste registreerimismärkidega sõidukitega liiklemist
Eestis.

Tänan!

Lugupidamisega

Tiina Mäll

spetsialist | konsulaarosakond

+372 637 7461

Välisministeerium

Islandi väljak 1 | 15049 Tallinn

 <http://www.vm.ee/> www.vm.ee |  <https://twitter.com/MFAestonia>
@MFAestonia

From: Földi Mátyás - TAL <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, August 8, 2025 11:02 AM
To: Konsulaari sekretär (e-mail) ([email-masked]) <[email-masked]>
Cc: Mikael Laidre <[email-masked]>
Subject: Inquiry about the possible use in Estonia of temporary
registration plates issued by Hungary

Dear Colleagues,

The Department of International Law of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and
Trade of Hungary contacted us on the legal background and the practice of
using the Hungarian temporary licence plates on cars in the EU.

We kindly request your assistance in the following: According to Section
75/B(6) of Hungarian Government Decree No. 326/2011 (XII. 28.) on road
traffic administration tasks and the issuance and revocation of road
traffic documents: "Vehicles with temporary license plates issued under
Section 63/A(2)(1)-(5) may only be driven on the territory of Hungary.
Temporary license plates issued under Section 63/A(2) points 6-12 shall,
in the case of reciprocity or bilateral agreement, and if permitted by the
legislation of the country concerned, also entitle the vehicle to be
driven in another EEA Member State."

Would you be so kind as to inform us about the following:

*	Whether the relevant laws of Estonia allow the use of temporary
registration plates issued by Hungary when driving a car in Estonia?
*	If there are no legal provisions in Estonia concerning this
matter, can vehicles with Hungarian temporary registration plates in
practice travel without hindrance in Estonia?

Would it be possible to send us an answer by 19 August? Your kind help is
highly appreciated.

Should you need any further clarification, please, do not hesitate to
contact me at any time.

With kind regards,

Mátyás Földi

Economic and commercial attaché

Maakri 19/1, 10145 Tallinn

Embassy of Hungary  Tallinn

Ph: +372 5801 7003

E-mail:  <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]