Subject: CJEU Case C-265/26 – Potential implications for Estonian digital healthcare and cross-border telemedicine
From: "Martin Mangiapia" <[email-masked]>
To: "Info - SOM" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, "info - MKM" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2026 11:29:03 +0300

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing on behalf of Wellster Healthtech Group GmbH, a European
digital healthcare provider headquartered in Germany.
We would like to draw your attention to a pending preliminary ruling
procedure before the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU), Case
C-265/26 (Wellster Healthtech Group GmbH), referred by the German Federal
Court of Justice (Bundesgerichtshof).
The case concerns the compatibility of national restrictions on
advertising for telemedical services with the freedom to provide services
under Article 56 TFEU.
In essence, the Court has been asked to assess whether a Member State may
prohibit the advertising of telemedical services provided by physicians
established in another Member State where those services do not correspond
to the medical standards recognised in the destination Member State.
We believe that the proceedings may be of particular relevance to Estonia.
Estonia is internationally recognised as one of Europe's leading digital
societies and a pioneer in digital public services and digital innovation.
The outcome of the proceedings may therefore have implications for
healthcare providers and digital-health companies seeking to provide and
promote telemedical services across borders within the European Union.
The proceedings may also provide important guidance on the relationship
between national healthcare standards, digital innovation and the freedom
to provide services within the European Single Market.
According to the notification issued by the Court of Justice on 5 May
2026, Member States may submit written observations within a
non-extendable period of two months and ten days. Based on the Court's
notification, the relevant deadline appears to be 15 July 2026.
We therefore wished to ensure that the relevant Estonian authorities are
aware of the proceedings while there is still sufficient time to assess
whether Estonian interests may be affected.
We are not writing to advocate any particular outcome of the proceedings.
Our sole purpose is to ensure that relevant Estonian authorities have an
opportunity to assess the potential implications of the case for Estonian
digital-health providers and the European Single Market.
For your convenience, we attach:
• A short briefing note outlining the potential relevance of the case for
Estonia;
• An executive summary of the proceedings;
• The referral decision of the German Federal Court of Justice;
• The notification issued by the Court of Justice regarding the procedure
and applicable deadlines.
Should it be helpful, our co-founder and CEO, Dr. Manuel Nothelfer, would
be pleased to provide a short briefing call regarding the background of
the proceedings and their potential implications for European
telemedicine.
Kind regards,

Martin Mangiapia

Vice President Communications

Wellster Healthtech Group GmbH
Büro München: Theresienhöhe 12, 80339 München

Mobile: +49 17645534942

[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]>

Hauptsitz: Rheinpromenade 4a, 40789 Monheim am Rhein

Registergericht: AG Düsseldorf  I HRB 109513

Geschäftsführer: Nico Hribernik, Dr. Manuel Nothelfer