Subject: Child rights organisations call to abolish limitation periods for child sexual abuse crimes
From: "Julie Fuchs" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>,Sandra Kaljumäe - JUSTDIGI <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>,Mari-Liis Sööt - JUSTDIGI <[email-masked]>, "Reet Kase - JUSTDIGI" <[email-masked]>, "Laidi Surva - JUSTDIGI" <[email-masked]>, "Isaline Wittorski" <[email-masked]>, "Jeanne-Marie Quashie | Terre des Hommes" <[email-masked]>, "Paola Rando" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2026 18:34:24 +0300

Dear Minister Pakosta, Esteemed Representatives of Estonia,

I am writing on behalf of the Steering Group of the ECLAG coalition* to
call for your support regarding the extension of statutes of
limitations/limitations periods as part of the
<https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=COM%3A2024%3A60%3AFIN
> revision of the EU Directive on combatting Child Sexual Abuse.

A
<https://rahvaalgatus.ee/initiatives/1774-kaotada-laste-vastu-toime-pandud
-seksuaalkuritegude-aegumise-ajaline-piir-ja-m%C3%A4%C3%A4rata-ohvritele-h
%C3%BCvitis> petition addressed to the Riigikogu has gathered over 13 000
signatures calling for the abolition of statutes of limitation for crimes
of child sexual abuse and exploitation. We join this call and, alongside
<https://ecpat.org/wp-content/uploads/2025/12/Statutes-of-Limitations-Open
-Letter.pdf> over 90 child rights organisations worldwide, we urge Estonia
to take this important step.

Statutes of limitation constitute arbitrary barriers that deny survivors
their fundamental right to justice. Survivors of child sexual abuse often
need years, even decades, before they are able to disclose the harm they
have suffered in their childhood. Trauma, fear and stigma, along with a
lack of trust in institutions are common reasons why reporting is
prevented or delayed. When survivors are finally ready to come forward,
justice systems must still be able to respond. For further information,
please find attached a paper detailing the rationale for extending
statutes of limitations and a
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXtwYfEmzW4> short campaign video here.

Europe is currently discussing minimum limitation periods standards as
part of the
<https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=COM%3A2024%3A60%3AFIN
> revision of the EU Directive on combatting Child Sexual Abuse. In a
<https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20250613IPR28905/fight-
against-child-sexual-abuse-updated-rules-to-address-new-technologies>
historic vote, the European Parliament supported the abolition of statutes
of limitation. Several Member States, including Ireland and Belgium, have
already taken this step for several years.

We count on you to ensure that access to justice is not a “
<https://www.bravemovement.org/2023/01/31/abolish-statutes-of-limitations/
> postcode lottery”, that perpetrators are held accountable, and that
survivors in Estonia are not denied access to justice because of arbitrary
time limits.

We would welcome the opportunity to discuss this critical matter with you
at your earliest convenience and remain available for any question you may
have.

Best regards,

The ECLAG Steering Group

*The <https://www.childsafetyineurope.com/eclag/>  European Child sexual
abuse Legislation Advocacy Group (ECLAG) is a coalition of over 80 child
rights organisations joining forces to protect children from sexual
violence and abuse. The Steering Group of the Coalition is formed by
<https://ecpat.org/ecpat-project-beacon/> ECPAT International,
<https://www.eurochild.org/>  Eurochild,
<https://missingchildreneurope.eu/>  the  <https://www.iwf.org.uk/>
Internet Watch Foundation (IWF),  <https://missingchildreneurope.eu/>
Missing Children Europe,  <https://www.terredeshommes.nl/> Terre des
Hommes Netherlands and <https://www.thorn.org/>  Thorn.

Julie Fuchs (she/her)

EU Policy and Advocacy Officer

Based in Belgium - CEST

ECPAT International

www.ecpat.org <http://www.ecpat.org/>

328/1 Phaya Thai Road
Ratchathewi, Bangkok
10400, THAILAND

Tel: +662 215 3388

<https://ecpat.org/story/how-sexual-crimes-against-children-have-changed-o
ver-time/>

For more information visit us at:

<https://url.emailprotection.link/?byT2BhIGfoHLwPXwOaVRHui0BJITrywLdEF-FYC
MuAaR243ky6X2Lc4-MXum1NuEvdNVV1t94dUfe0VEDg3TrOZqkh7TKi0HctwKRW1l-wiGtRHlr
srOPOZ5rIX9Ki6fq>
<https://url.emailprotection.link/?bOBlK03OFRZ1-lvC8KC_ps0Ce2tXdTAUMAp8N6U
NWd6QhW2j0oYpiS9sF_kk-Xtl40AXGL2yaXRwT_dJUURz58w~~>
<https://url.emailprotection.link/?bUU7m4NfMS_EWGtH1yojBHZwgJnDJwKKIcnGyr4
VTDEGlA1wgRwVqihyGNcDyTSld9rUbHq2EdMkkLxUbkbYXIA~~>
<https://bsky.app/profile/ecpat.bsky.social>
<https://url.emailprotection.link/?bH1bmLuRP-9egfczNVLB6hb63GrVthrlQktmbLW
CdnlVsJJn1tF5acMlQcM1uzAlvA9SzZ6lznZo15rZT1CtLwSrZdUD5CG434ZWXMztniJt6cs_-
80UTAdgabVNoEIMqODfIJtFyv9fNcujxj5u2lgpIvuFK9MdBZlapUjWJ3q4~>
<https://open.spotify.com/show/6x5JzKOCXOKj7EBAj1hsiK#login>
<https://url.emailprotection.link/?b_TZeDXsJCA5WMNoJWu0HjKyqvqFGCdve8cpCrb
OxAlg8wa0e_626poYFzZ7nkPW0Fou4AfHJyJOQ_ybVinwjtg~~>