Subject: Proposed releases of living genetically modified (GM) micro-organisms into the environment
From: "Helen Wallace" <[email-masked]>
To: "SM Info"
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 15:00:00 +0300

Ms Riina SIKKUT

Minister for Health

Dear Minister

Proposed releases of living genetically modified (GM) micro-organisms into 
the environment

I attach a copy of GeneWatch’s response to the recent consultation by the 
European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) about proposed releases of living 
genetically modified micro-organisms (GMMs), including bacteria and viruses, 
into the environment.

It concludes that EFSA is wrong to suggest that the relevant gaps in 
knowledge associated with the open release of GMMs can be addressed simply 
by developing new guidance. Allowing open releases of GMMs into the 
environment risks permanently (and negatively) altering complex ecosystems.

The need for a precautionary approach is enshrined in Directive 2001/18/EC 
and in the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety (implemented by Regulation (EC) 
No 1946/2003). Correctly interpreted, these legal instruments should lead to 
the conclusion that GMMs (including those developed using New Genomic 
Techniques, NGTs) should not be deliberately released into the environment, 
due to the inability to predict and/or manage future adverse effects on 
human and animal health and the environment.

Our consultation response is also available on the following link: 
http://www.genewatch.org/uploads/f03c6d66a9b354535738483c1c3d49e4/genewatch-response-to-efsa-gmms-consultation-fin.pdf

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you would like further information.

Dr Helen Wallace

Director

GeneWatch International

www.genewatch.org <http://www.genewatch.org/>