Subject: WHO Heat–Health Action Plan Guidance (Second Edition) now available
From: "EURO Climate" <[email-masked]>
To: "EURO Climate" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2026 11:18:54 +0300

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

To:

Members of the Working Group on Health in Climate Change (HIC) and
associated stakeholders

Members of the European Environment and Health Task Force (EHTF) and
associated stakeholders

Members of the EHP Partnership for Health Sector Climate Action

Heads of WHO Country Offices, WHO Representatives

Dear colleagues and partners,

As Europe experiences another summer marked by periods of extreme heat, we
are pleased to remind you that the WHO Regional Office for Europe has
published the second edition of the Heat–Health Action Plan guidance,
which was officially launched on 11 June 2026 and is now available on the
WHO website.

Access the publication

*
Heat–Health Action Plan guidance (second edition):
<https://www.who.int/europe/publications/i/item/9789289062930>
https://www.who.int/europe/publications/i/item/9789289062930

*
Executive summary (English):
<https://www.who.int/europe/publications/m/item/heat-health-action-plans--
guidance--second-edition--executive-summary>
https://www.who.int/europe/publications/m/item/heat-health-action-plans--g
uidance--second-edition--executive-summary

*
Executive summary (German):
<https://www.who.int/europe/de/publications/m/item/heat-health-action-plan
s--guidance--second-edition--executive-summary>
https://www.who.int/europe/de/publications/m/item/heat-health-action-plans
--guidance--second-edition--executive-summary

The full guidance is currently available in English. French, German and
Russian translations will be published in due course.

About the guidance

The second edition provides an updated and comprehensive framework for
heat–health action planning, organized around eight core elements.

Heat–Health Action Plans (HHAPs) are structured public health plans that
bring together a portfolio of preparedness, warning, response and recovery
measures to reduce heat-related health risks through coordinated action
across sectors and levels of governance.

The guidance supports countries and local authorities that are developing
an HHAP for the first time while also helping those with existing plans to
review, strengthen and update their approaches in light of new evidence,
evolving risks and emerging good practices. Although developed for the WHO
European Region, the guidance is intended to support heat resilience
efforts globally.

The development of the guidance was generously supported by the European
Commission and the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Climate Action,
Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety, Germany.

Supporting dissemination and uptake

As heat-related risks continue to increase across the Region, effective
implementation of HHAPs is becoming more important than ever. We encourage
you to share the guidance widely within your professional networks and
institutions, and promote its uptake in your national context. Your
support will be instrumental in helping ensure that the guidance
translates into practical action that protects populations from the health
impacts of extreme heat.

WHO support to Member States

The release of this guidance is an important step in WHO's continued
commitment to supporting Member States in addressing the health impacts of
extreme heat. We stand ready to support the uptake and implementation of
the guidance through technical support, capacity-building and
collaboration.

Over the coming months, the WHO Regional Office for Europe will develop
training materials and implementation resources and make them available
online. We also aim to organize regional and country-level meetings,
webinars and technical workshops.

Upcoming opportunities for engagement include the Member States meeting on
"Extreme heat: public health impacts and responses" on 6 July 2026 (the
registration link is available
<https://who.zoom.us/meeting/register/S3e0UydiStu3dz2zPA-LmQ#/registration
> here), as well as continued engagement through regional and global
events, including the Global Heat Forum in October 2026.

Contacts

Please do not hesitate to reach out to the WHO European Centre for
Environment, Climate Change and Health for further information or support.
For any specific technical support and questions on heat–health, please
contact Vladimir Kendrovski ( <mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked]).

Kind regards,

Oliver

Oliver Schmoll | Programme Manager | Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, and
Climate Adaptation

WHO Regional Office for Europe | European Centre for Environment, Climate
Change and Health | Bonn - Germany