Subject: FW: PhD Research Collaboration: Post-Disaster Building Assessment Systems (New Zealand) UNCLASSIFIED
From: "Darja Denissova" <[email-masked]>
To: Päästeamet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2026 12:08:23 +0300

Tere!

Palun edastage see kiri õigele inimesele.

Tervitades

Darja Denissova

ohuteavituse ja kommunikatsiooniosakond

nõunik

+372 5857 5020

 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]

PÄÄSTEAMET

Raua 2 | 10124 Tallinn

 <https://www.rescue.ee/> paasteamet.ee

 <https://ohutusportaal.paasteamet.ee/> ohutusportaal.paasteamet.ee

 <https://www.facebook.com/paasteamet>

 <https://www.instagram.com/paasteamet_eesti>

From: Patrick Cummuskey <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> >
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2026 6:15 AM
To: Päästeameti kommunikatsioon <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> >
Subject: PhD Research Collaboration: Post-Disaster Building Assessment
Systems (New Zealand) UNCLASSIFIED

TÄHELEPANU! Tegemist on väljastpoolt asutust saabunud kirjaga. Tundmatu
saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada!

Greetings from New Zealand,

I am a senior specialist in Building Emergency Management working
alongside colleagues to improve how New Zealand prepares for and responds
to earthquakes, storms, and other natural disasters, and concurrently a
PhD researcher with the University of Auckland.

As part of my research and work, I am conducting a global comparative
study on Building Emergency Management (BEM) systems, and I am analysing
how different countries conduct post-disaster building damage assessments,
operationalise their field data, and manage the transition to recovery.
For context on our baseline, you can view New Zealand’s current rapid
building assessment (RBA) framework here:

<https://www.building.govt.nz/managing-buildings/managing-buildings-in-an-
emergency/rapid-building-assessment-system/rapid-building-assessment-resou
rces>
https://www.building.govt.nz/managing-buildings/managing-buildings-in-an-e
mergency/rapid-building-assessment-system/rapid-building-assessment-resour
ces

I am reaching out to see if there is a relevant technical expert or
operational leader within the Estonian Rescue Board (or another suitable
organisation) that would be willing and permitted to participate in this
research.

By understanding the unique methodologies and contexts of different
international systems, this study aims to identify global best practices.
As a participant, the Estonian Rescue Board (or the relevant alternative
organisation if you direct me elsewhere) would receive access to the final
research outputs, providing a valuable comparative dataset to help
benchmark and potentially enhance your own disaster response procedures.

Participation would simply involve:

*   An approximately 60-minute online interview or equivalent digital
survey

*   Sharing any publicly available operational procedures or training
outlines (similar to the NZ RBA documents I've linked to)

If this collaboration is feasible, could you please connect me with the
most appropriate person in your organisation? I would be happy to send
them a formal research brief along with my university’s ethics and data
management documentation.

Thank you for your time and for the vital work your organisation does in
Estonia.

Sincerely,

Patrick Cummuskey
Senior Building Emergency Management Specialist | Building System Delivery
& Assurance

Buildings and Tenancy | Te Whakatairanga Service Delivery Group
Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment

167B Victoria Street | Auckland | New Zealand
 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked] |
Mobile: +64 (0) 21 862 987

NZBN 9429000106078