Subject: Emerging Trend - Counterfeit Ozempic Injection Pens (Updates)
From: "NG Perry" <[email-masked]>
To: "ZONE IPCQ" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "OEC-ILM-IGGH" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 10:09:32 +0300

FROM : IPSG
OEC/ILM/IGGH

Your ref: New
Our ref: 2023/278/ILM/IGGH/PNG

Dear NCB colleagues,

In the context of Operation Pangea, INTERPOL Illicit Goods and Global Health 
(IGGH) would like to alert all member countries regarding an emerging trend 
of counterfeit Ozempic injection pens.
This is a follow up from the alert message (attached) sent in September 
2022.

The products are Apridra Solostar pens containing insulin glulisine which 
are relabelled as Ozempic pens. There was an incident where a patient with 
Type 2 Diabetes injected herself with the counterfeit pen for three weeks 
and was hospitalised.

Please refer to the photos below showing how the pens are different and the 
actual photo of a counterfeit injection pen purchased in Pakistan.
The white dial on the Apridra Solostar pen is further to be back of the pen 
as compared to the Ozempic one.

These counterfeit pens are found in the Middle East, Russia, Azerbaijan, 
Eqypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Russia, Turkey and Uzbekistan. These products 
have been sold both within the legal and illegal supply chain.

Photo 1: Apridra Solostar pen

Photo 2: Ozempic injection pen

Photo 3: Actual image of the counterfeit Ozempic Injection Pen product 
bought in Pakistan

We strongly recommend that you circulate this message to your country’s law 
enforcement bodies to alert them about this trend and to take the required 
preventive and precautionary measures they deem necessary. All recipients 
are strongly encouraged to share with INTERPOL IGGH on any data or similar 
cases that you have concerning this product.

Thank you.

Best regards,

………………………………………
Perry NG
Criminal Intelligence Officer
Illicit Markets
Illicit Goods and Global Health Program

INTERPOL Global Complex for Innovation
18 Napier Road, Singapore 258510
Office Phone: &#43;65 6550 3641
[email-masked]
www.interpol.int

Subject: New Trend - Ozempic Injection Pens
From: "NG Perry" <[email-masked]>
To: "ZONE IPCQ" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Pangea" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 03:35:25 +0300

FROM : IPSG
OEC/ILM/IGGH

Your ref: New
Our ref: 2022/382/ILM/IGGH/PNG

Dear NCB colleagues,

In the context of Operation Pangea, INTERPOL Illicit Goods and Global Health 
(IGGH) would like to alert you regarding a new trend happening in Ireland 
whereby the product - Ozempic injection pens are sold in beauty clinics to 
consumers for the purpose of weight loss.

The situation is that this product is prescribed by consultants and 
administer to patients with Type 2 diabetes and obesity. The product is sold 
for €250 each by the beauty clinic owners and are injected into the stomach 
area of the patients.

This product causes serious health implications for people using these pens 
without authorised medical supervision.

This product was authorised by the European Medicines Agency for 
distribution in Ireland, the UK and Malta but is now being distributed 
outside the legal distribution chain. Clinics are also importing this 
product via the illegal supply chain and possibility that this product maybe 
sold online.

Please find below the available photos of the product:

We strongly recommend that you circulate this message to your country’s law 
enforcement bodies to alert them about this trend so as to allow them to 
take whatever preventive and precautionary measures they deem necessary. All 
recipients are strongly encouraged to share any data or similar cases that 
you have concerning this product.

Thank you.

Best regards,

………………………………………
Perry NG
Criminal Intelligence Officer
Illicit Markets
Illicit Goods and Global Health Program

INTERPOL Global Complex for Innovation
18 Napier Road, Singapore 258510
Office Phone: &#43;65 6550 3641
[email-masked]
www.interpol.int