Subject: FW: Request for Support – Estonian Prison Service ECHR Case on Smoking Ban
From: "Ashley Brown" <[email-masked]>
To: "Justiits- ja Digiministeerium" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Kate Hunt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2026 20:48:55 +0300

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

Dear Rait,

Apologies for the delay in responding to your request for support in
relation to Estonia’s comprehensive smokefree prison policy. I have just
picked up the email.

I just wanted to share information about a study led by Professor Kate
Hunt evaluating the process and outcomes of the implementation of
smokefree prison policies in Scotland. To our knowledge, this is the most
comprehensive study of smokefree prison policy to date. I have attached
our final report, which summarises our key findings and two peer-reviewed
journal articles which provide more detailed information on the
improvements to air quality post-implementation.

Best wishes,

Ashley

From: Samantha Reekie <[email-masked]>
Sent: 11 June 2026 11:58
To: Ashley Brown <[email-masked]>
Subject: FW: Request for Support – Estonian Prison Service ECHR Case on
Smoking Ban

CAUTION: This email originated from outside University of Stirling. Do not
follow links or open attachments if you doubt the authenticity of the
sender or the content.

  _____

OFFICIAL

Hi Ashley,

I hope you are well. Please see the below email from EuroPris re. a
request for support from the Estonian Prison Service re. smoking bans in
prison, which I am just forwarding on for your interest. You’ll see that I
checked with our liaison at EuroPris and they would be happy for you to
give a response if you would like to, and if you have capacity to.
Apologies if you have come across this via other channels.

Best wishes

Samantha

l Samantha Reekie (she / her) l

l Head of Research and Evaluation l

l Office of the Chief Executive l

l *: Scottish Prison Service, One Lochside, 1 Lochside Avenue, Edinburgh,
EH12 9DJ l

l *: 0131 330 3500 l

l *:  <mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked] l

OFFICIAL

From: EuroPris Secretariat <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> >
Sent: 10 June 2026 13:17
To: Samantha Reekie <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> >
Subject: Re: Request for Support – Estonian Prison Service ECHR Case on
Smoking Ban

Caution: This email originated from a sender OUTSIDE of your organization!
Please proceed with caution and DO NOT Follow guidance, Click links, Open
attachments or provide ANY information Unless you recognise the sender and
know the content is safe.

Dear Samantha,

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you—it has been a busy week
in Malta, and I am now catching up on emails.

Yes, please share with the colleague at Stirling University. Thank you!

Best,

Aune

  _____

From: Samantha Reekie <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> >
Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2026 10:24 AM
To: EuroPris Secretariat <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> >
Subject: RE: Request for Support – Estonian Prison Service ECHR Case on
Smoking Ban

OFFICIAL

Good morning

I don’t think that SPS have any material or information we can share in
support of this, but we do have an academic colleague within Stirling
University who led on smoking cessation evidence for the SPS. I just
wanted to check that I can share this onwards for her to have her own
input?

Thanks

Samantha

l Samantha Reekie (she / her) l

l Head of Research and Evaluation l

l Office of the Chief Executive l

l *: Scottish Prison Service, One Lochside, 1 Lochside Avenue, Edinburgh,
EH12 9DJ l

l *: 0131 330 3500 l

l *:  <mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked] l

OFFICIAL

From: EuroPris Secretariat <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> >
Sent: 26 May 2026 13:18
To: EuroPris Secretariat <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> >
Subject: Request for Support – Estonian Prison Service ECHR Case on
Smoking Ban

Caution: This email originated from a sender OUTSIDE of your organization!
Please proceed with caution and DO NOT Follow guidance, Click links, Open
attachments or provide ANY information Unless you recognise the sender and
know the content is safe.

Dear EuroPris members,

Please find attached a request from the Estonian Prison Service concerning
ongoing ECHR proceedings.

The pending case relates to the smoking ban in prisons, and the Estonian
Prison Service is seeking support and input from members.

Kindly note that support is requested by 15 June.

On behalf of the EuroPris Secretariat,

Aune Nuyttens

Member & Development Manager

EuroPris Secretariat

European Organisation of Prison and Correctional Services

www.europris.org <https://www.europris.org/>  | Subscribe to our
Newsletter <https://www.europris.org/newsletter/>  | View Upcoming Events
<https://www.europris.org/our-events/>

Bezuidenhoutseweg 20, 2594 AV, The Hague, the Netherlands

  _____

Scotland’s University for Sporting Excellence
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland, number SC
011159