Subject: VB: Request for Letter of Support - Polar Connect 3, CEF Digital
From: "Malin Amnefelt" <[email-masked]>
To: "info - MKM" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2026 16:57:31 +0300

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

Hi,

I am trying to reach Raigo Iling or the person responsible for The
Connecting Europe Facility: Digital with this message. But my email is not
reaching the recipient.  Please help me find the right person to contact.

Best regards

Malin Amnefelt
Swedish Ministry of Finance
Division for Digital Infrastructure and Security

103 33 Stockholm

Mobile +46 703056316
 <http://www.regeringen.se/> www.regeringen.se

Från: Malin Amnefelt
Skickat: den 15 juni 2026 15:45
Till: [email-masked]' <[email-masked]>
Kopia: 'CEF2' <[email-masked]>
Ämne: Request for Letter of Support - Polar Connect 3, CEF Digital

Dear Raigo,

I am writing to you with a request concerning a letter of support for the
Polar Connect step 3 (PC3) project that aims to apply for funding from CEF
Digital. I have taken over the task of CEF digital from Agata Uhlhorn with
whom you have previously had contact.

The long term aim of the Polar Connect project is to establish a fibre
optic communication link from northern Europe to the Indo-Pacific region
across the Arctic region, with possible connections to North America.
Polar Connect aims to establish an alternative route to currently existing
routes passing through the Suez Canal and the Red Sea giving at the same
time Europe and partners in East Asia full end-to-end control of the
connection.

The Swedish Research Council leads a consortium preparing a funding
application to CEF Digital for the PC3 project. Polar Connect Step 3 is
the next stage in the continuous progression of the Polar Connect
Initiative. For further information please see the project description.

The project does not require a formal Member State Agreement from Estonia
as it does not cross Estonian territory and does not include Estonian
participation. However, due to the multinational nature of this
initiative, endorsements from other EU Member States are valuable. An
Estonian endorsement would strengthen this project through which
redundancy and route diversity of critical infrastructure can be enhanced,
bringing also a multitude of opportunities and benefits for increased
collaborations between Europe, Asia and North America.

In light of this, Sweden kindly requests the support from Estonia for
Polar Connect step 3 (PC3) in the form of a written endorsement,
specifically a letter of support. (Please see attached the Letter of
Support that the Polar Connect project received from Estonia last year.)

The deadline of the CEF Digital call is approaching (30 June). We are
fully aware of the short time frame and apologize beforehand for any
inconvenience. If at all possible we would greatly appreciate it if you
could send the Letter of Support before the EU deadline to
<mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked] and
<mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked] . Should you need more time please let
me know. Do not hesitate to get in touch in case of any questions.

Thank you in advance for considering our request, and we look forward to
the possibility of working together to strengthen the resilience of
critical infrastructure in the international waters.

Best regards

/

Malin Amnefelt
Swedish Ministry of Finance
Division for Digital Infrastructure and Security

103 33 Stockholm

Mobile +46 703056316
 <http://www.regeringen.se/> www.regeringen.se