Subject: Absent Rights - European survey
From: "Jonckheere Alexia" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Maes Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2026 11:01:23 +0300

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am contacting you in the context of a (research) project on trials in
absence.

This project ‘Absent Rights? Reinforcing the right to presence at trial as
a foundation of mutual trust’ (‘AbsentRights’) is funded by the EC Justice
Programme and coordinated by FairTrials Europe (FTE).

The Belgian National Institute of Criminalistics and Criminology (NICC) is
responsible for collecting information on legislation, statistics and
scientific research on the subject, in the countries of the EU.

To do this, we have developed a questionnaire which you will find attached
to this mail.

Could you please answer all, or some, of the questions with respect to the
situation in Estonia and send it back to us completed?

If you are unable to answer all the questions, could you refer us to
another contact person who could provide us with the requested
information?

It would be greatly appreciated if we could receive your completed
questionnaire by 30 September.

Thank you very much for your valuable cooperation!

Best regards,

Alexia Jonckheere

Dr. Alexia JONCKHEERE

Chercheure seniore, Cheffe de travaux (SW2), DO Criminologie

La Science pour la Justice  |  Wetenschap voor Justitie

 <https://www.linkedin.com/company/10841578>

 <https://nicc.fgov.be/>

INSTITUT NATIONAL DE CRIMINALISTIQUE ET DE CRIMINOLOGIE  | NATIONAAL
INSTITUUT VOOR CRIMINALISTIEK EN CRIMINOLOGIE

BAC – Finance Tower - Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 50, boite 71, 1000
Bruxelles  |