Subject: FW: EU Platform Work Directive: Today we discover if the future of the EU will be one of cyber-slavery or not
From: "SM Info"
To: "MKM info"
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:43:48 +0200

Tere,

Edastame pöördumise.

Dokumendihaldus

SOM

From: ELSU admins <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2024 3:25 PM
To: [email-masked]; 
[email-masked]; 
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; 
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; 
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; 
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; 
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: EU Platform Work Directive: Today we discover if the future of the 
EU will be one of cyber-slavery or not

Today, all eyes are on the positions of governments of Estonia, Greece, 
Germany and France vis-a -vis the EU Platform Work Directive.

Today will determine whether companies such as Deliveroo and Uber that over 
the past few years and right in front of our eyes, have been actively 
reducing millions of mostly non-European workers to becoming mere beasts of 
burden, will finally be subject to minimal regulation at European level.

We know from the Uber Files that Emmanuel Macron has very foolhardily chosen 
to throw his lot in with these companies and their off-shore hedge fund 
investors.

The question is whether, under sustained scrutiny and the distinct 
possibility of future ethics investigations, will the governments of 
Germany, Estonia and Greece blindly follow Macron over the same ideological 
cliff by continuing to block the EU Platform Work Directive despite over 5 
years of consensus building at every level of the European institutions?

Please see attached and below some of what was submitted to the Irish 
Parliamentary Committee last week.

We now have the support of Irish political parties both in and out of 
government on this, including the pro-business Fine Gael party who had been 
subjected to the same lobbying that Macron succumbed to.

Please see the most recent reply from the former Minister for Enterprise, 
Trade and Employment Richard Bruton and the notes from our last meeting with 
the current Taoiseach's office on this subject.

The meeting is scheduled for 2.40pm Brussels time, 1.40pm GMT/Irish Time.

It can be followed here:

https://europa.eu/!VwCVv7

https://video.consilium.europa.eu/event/en/27379

For further context please see the Oireachtas Committee discussion on 
Platform Work last Wednesday in Dublin:

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/video-archive/committees/9104

Example of recent social media posts on the topic:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4OHnXGxiLn/?igsh=MTQ3cGN6cjloY2JmdQ==

https://www.tiktok.com/@martydoesnotplay/video/7345055463077088544

Short Documentary made in Dublin: 'The Invisible Ones',: 
https://youtu.be/fID5PGLv54Q

Thank you for paying attention, as the Manic Street Preachers warned us, "if 
you tolerate this, then your children will be next".

Kind Regards,

Fiachra Ó Luain

Labour Rights' Officer

English Language Students' Union of Ireland

+353858163388

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Richard Bruton <[email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]> >
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 at 15:28
Subject: RE: ELSU Submission to this morning's Enterprise Committee's 
discussion on Platform Work ahead of Monday's EU Directive showdown
To: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>  <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
 >

Fiachra,

Thank you for your valuable submission.

Kind regards,

Richard Bruton, TD

Dail Eireann,

Kildare Street,

Dublin 2.

Telephone: 01 6183103

Email:  <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]

Web: richardbruton.ie <http://richardbruton.ie>

Oireachtas email policy and disclaimer. 
<http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/about/oireachtasemailpolicyanddisclaimer/> 
http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/about/oireachtasemailpolicyanddisclaimer/

Beartas ríomhphoist an Oireachtais agus séanadh. 
<http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/ga/eolas/beartasriomhphoistanoireachtaisagusseanadh/> 
http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/ga/eolas/beartasriomhphoistanoireachtaisagusseanadh/

Oifigeach Poiblí Sainithe faoin Acht um Brústocaireacht a Rialáil 2015. 
Féach 
<https://smex-ctp.trendmicro.com/wis/clicktime/v1/query?url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.lobbying.ie&umid=5c30d039-2a90-4354-8565-bf602b036d1a&auth=43ff9ca5824af5fcf2ab3da15bfea1b8c1c54367-b9098e56a22fae7915a4e31c6c4bc1176ccdee40> 
www.lobbying.ie

Designated Public Official under Regulation of Lobbying Act, 2015

Disclaimer:

The information contained in this email (and in any attachments) is 
confidential and is designated solely for the attention and use of the 
intended recipient(s).  If you are not an intended recipient of this email, 
you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or any 
part of it.  If you have received this email in error, please notify me 
immediately and delete all copies of this email from your computer 
system(s). Please note that this email and any reply thereto may be subject 
to a request for release pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act.

Tá an fhaisnéis atá sa ríomhphost seo (agus in aon cheangaltáin) faoi rún 
agus is don fhaighteoir/do na faighteoirí beartaithe é agus é/iad sin 
amháin.  Mura tusa an faighteoir beartaithe, níor cheart duit an 
teachtaireacht seo ná aon chuid di a úsáid, a nochtadh, a chóipeáil, a 
dháileadh ná a choinneáil.  Sa chás gur trí earráid a fuair tú an ríomhphost 
seo, tabhair fógra dom láithreach faoi sin agus scrios gach cóip den 
ríomhphost seo ó do ríomhchóra(i)s.  Tabhair faoi deara go bhféadfaidh an 
ríomhphost seo agus aon fhreagra air bheith faoi réir iarraidh ar a eisiúint 
de bhun an Achta um Shaoráil Faisnéise

Ceart chun Dícheangal: Is Cé go mb’fhéidir go n-oirfeadh sé domsa, áfach, 
ríomhphoist a sheoladh lasmuigh de mo ghnáthuaireanta oibre, nílim ag súil 
le freagra nó gníomh uaitse lasmuigh de d’uaireanta oibre féin.

Right to Disconnect: While it may suit me to send emails outside my normal 
working hours, I do not expect a response or action from you outside your 
own working hours.

From: ELSU admins <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >
Sent: Wednesday, March 6, 2024 6:04 AM
To: Enterprise Trade and Employment <[email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]> >
Cc: Maurice Quinlivan <[email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]> >; Mick Barry 
<[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >; Richard 
Bruton <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
 >; FrancisNoel Duffy <[email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]> >; Joe Flaherty 
<[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >; James 
OConnor <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >; 
Louise OReilly <[email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]> >; Matt Shanahan 
<[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >; David 
Stanton <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >; 
Garret Ahearn <[email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]> >; Ollie Crowe 
<[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >; Roisin 
Garvey <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >; 
Paul Gavan <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >; 
Marie Sherlock <[email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]> >; Minister 
<[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >; 
External - Taoiseach <[email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]> >; External - Tanaiste 
<[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >; Ministers 
Office <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >
Subject: ELSU Submission to this morning's Enterprise Committee's discussion 
on Platform Work ahead of Monday's EU Directive showdown

Dear Chair of the Joint Oireachtas Committee for Enterprise, Trade and 
Employment,

A number of your committee members, both TDs and Senators, contacted us to 
strongly urge us to make the attached submission ahead of this morning's 
important meeting to discuss Platform Work.

We have reviewed the welcome and useful submissions by SIPTU, Eurofound and 
Social Justice Ireland and feel that the document attached complements those 
submissions and will further assist your committee's members in teasing out 
the issues to a fuller extent. It was suggested that we request of you that 
this document be added as an item on the agenda in lieu of our attendance 
and oral contributions.

Having read the other submissions, it is vital that all those in attendance 
this morning understand that the EU Platform Directive is not dead yet.

Next Monday the 11th of March there will be one final, last ditch attempt to 
achieve an agreement in Brussels. Ireland's support for this is crucial.

It is vital that your members understand this so that we can know exactly 
whereabouts in the air the ball is at this moment, so we can anticipate our 
next passes and tackles.

We remind you that we have been engaged directly with the Taoiseach and the 
Department of Entreprise, Trade and Employment on these issues since 2021, 
we organised the recent Valentine's Day Strike of Delivery Workers and were 
the only Irish delegation to the recent Forum on Platform Work in the 
European Parliament this past 21st and 22nd of February.

We can provide Oireachtas members with the minutes of our June 2023 meeting 
with the Taoiseach's office and the senior Departmental officials who were 
present that day, we also have the full audio of the original meeting with 
the current Taoiseach in March of 2021 and can release this when required to 
verify what was discussed during that original meeting, if needs be.

We trust that all of this information is of assistance and you can add this 
document as an item to be discussed during the meeting that is scheduled for 
9.30am later this morning.

Kind Regards,

Fiachra Ó Luain

Labour Rights' Officer,

English Language Students' Union of Ireland

+353858163388

-- 

Facebook:  <https://www.facebook.com/ELSUIreland/> 
https://www.facebook.com/ELSUIreland/

Instagram:  <https://www.instagram.com/elsu_ireland/> elsu_ireland

Twitter:  <https://twitter.com/ElsuIreland> @ELSUIreland

Website:  <http://www.elsu.ie/> www.elsu.ie