Subject: Subject: Research Inquiry on Estonia’s Digital Judicial Infrastructure and Evidence Law
From: "piyal sahoo" <[email-masked]>
To: "Justiits- ja Digiministeerium" <[email-masked]>, "Anastasia Sanchez Fernandez - JUSTDIGI" <[email-masked]>, "Britten Torstenberg - JUSTDIGI" <[email-masked]>,Alina Poduškina - JUSTDIGI <[email-masked]>, "Aivar Pau - JUSTDIGI" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2025 20:52:59 +0300

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

Respected Authority,

 My name is Piyal Sahoo, and I am a law student at National Law University, 
Tamil Nadu, India. I am currently conducting research on the topic “The 
Legal Validity and Challenges of Emerging Technologies in Law of Evidence 
and Judicial Process: A Comparative Study of Estonia’s Model and Its 
Applicability to India.”

Estonia’s leadership in digital governance and judicial innovation is widely 
recognised. As part of my research, I am particularly interested in 
understanding how Estonia’s legal framework and technical infrastructure 
(e-File, X-Road, qualified e-signatures, and blockchain-based timestamping) 
support the admissibility and authenticity of digital evidence in courts.

I would be very grateful if you could share insights on the following areas:

*
How Estonia legally recognises and audits electronic records in judicial 
proceedings?

*
The role of technical systems like X-Road and blockchain timestamping in 
preventing manipulation of evidence?

*
Governance and oversight mechanisms to ensure trust in digital court files ?

*
The main challenges Estonia faced in moving courts to digital files, and how 
they were overcome ?

*
Any lessons that might be relevant for a large country like India 
considering a similar transformation ?

If possible, I would also like to know whether Estonia collaborates with or 
provides guidance to other countries exploring digital judicial reforms.

Thank you very much for your time and for considering my request. Your input 
will greatly enrich the quality of my comparative research.

With warm regards,
Piyal Sahoo
Student of Law
National Law University, Tamil Nadu
📞 +91 7001271398
✉️ [email-masked]
Tamil Nadu, India