Subject: EIGE // Report: From lived reality to policy action: Combatting cyber violence against girls in the EU
From: "Elisa Nieto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2026 10:15:15 +0300

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to share the latest European Institute for Gender Equality 
report 
<https://eige.europa.eu/publications-resources/publications/lived-reality-policy-action-combating-cyber-violence-against-girls-eu> 
‘From lived reality to policy action: Combatting cyber violence against 
girls in the EU’.

This publication reveals how online abuse mutates across platforms, taking 
new forms designed to humiliate, exploit and silence girls.

In support to 
<https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/documents/public-register/public-register-search/?WordsInSubject=&WordsInText=&DocumentNumber=9555%2F26&InterinstitutionalFiles=&DocumentTypes=&DateFrom=&DateTo=&MeetingDateFrom=&MeetingDateTo=&DocumentLanguage=EN&OrderBy=DOCUMENT_DATE+DESC> 
Council Conclusions under the Cypriot Presidency, EIGE’s report gives the 
floor to 133 girls aged 13–18 from ten EU countries. Their stories are 
concerning and highly troubling and highlight the urgent need for action to 
ensure online spaces are safe and supportive.

The report exposes the reality of discovering manipulated or non-consensual 
content, where girls themselves are targeted. Many describe deleting photos, 
staying silent, leaving platforms, and living with anxiety after harassment 
and threats online. Despite the prevalence of these incidents, such 
experiences are often dismissed as “drama” or an inevitable aspect of being 
online, which is not acceptable. These challenges are not isolated; they 
reflect an environment where technology advances faster than the protections 
designed to counteract cyber violence. EIGE’s findings point to a clear need 
for prevention, accountability, and safeguards that keep pace with girls' 
digital lives. This is an important and timely read for anyone committed to 
making digital spaces safer.

In addition to this report, EIGE has published two articles that further 
explore the experiences of young girls online and the impact on those who 
report cyber violence. We encourage you to read these insightful pieces:

* 
<https://eige.europa.eu/newsroom/news/growing-online-how-violence-follows-girls-across-platforms?language_content_entity=en> 
Growing up online: how violence follows girls across platforms | European 
Institute for Gender Equa…
* 
<https://eige.europa.eu/newsroom/news/does-speaking-make-things-worse-how-young-girls-can-be-better-protected-cyber-violence-0> 
Does speaking up make things worse? How young girls can be better protected 
from cyber violence

Your insights and engagement are vital as we work together to support girls 
online and foster safer digital environments. Please do not hesitate to 
reach out if you have further questions.

Thank you for your dedication to making digital spaces safer for all.

Best regards,

 <https://eige.europa.eu/>

Elisa Nieto

SNE (Stakeholder relations)

European Institute for Gender Equality

Gedimino pr. 16, Vilnius, Lithuania

Phone: +370 5 2157439

Mobile:

 <https://www.facebook.com/eige.europa.eu> 
<https://www.instagram.com/eu_genderequality> 
<https://www.youtube.com/@eige_eu> 	  <https://lt.linkedin.com/company/eige>