Subject: RE: International Volunteer Year for Sustainable Development 2026 – National Focal Point and Observance in Estonia
From: Häli Allas <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "SiM info" <[email-masked]>, "Margit Veenpere" <[email-masked]>, "Minna Harjo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2026 19:45:16 +0300

Dear Ms. Mirabdullayeva,

Thank you for your message and for sharing information about the
International Volunteer Year for Sustainable Development 2026.

We appreciate the important role that volunteerism plays in advancing the
Sustainable Development Goals and recognise the relevance of this
initiative also in the Estonian context.

At this stage, we can confirm our preliminary interest in exploring the
possibility of designating a national focal point for IVY 2026. However,
before making any formal commitment, we would appreciate further
clarification regarding the expected role, responsibilities, and
anticipated workload associated with this function.

In particular, it would be helpful to understand the scope of coordination
activities, expected level of engagement with UNV and national
stakeholders, as well as any reporting or organisational obligations
linked to the role.

We look forward to your further information.

Kind regards,

Häli Allas
Head of the religious affairs and civil society department
Ministry of Interior of the Republic of Estonia

 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]

+372 5470 0124
 <https://www.siseministeerium.ee/>
<http://www.facebook.com/siseministeerium>
<https://open.spotify.com/show/1LO39xEFNzMh1Hd5ExumMi?si=9c67417b19184c53>

From: Zarina Mirabdullayeva <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> >
Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2026 3:59 PM
To: SiM info <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>; [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
Subject: International Volunteer Year for Sustainable Development 2026 –
National Focal Point and Observance in Estonia

TÄHELEPANU! Tegemist on väljastpoolt asutust saabunud kirjaga. Tundmatu
saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada!

Dear Colleagues,

I hope this message finds you well.

My name is Zarina Mirabdullayeva, and I am writing in my capacity as
Regional Coordinator for the International Volunteer Year for Sustainable
Development 2026 (IVY 2026) at the United Nations Volunteers (UNV)
programme.

As you are aware, the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed 2026 as
the International Year of Volunteers for Sustainable Development through
resolution A/RES/78/127. The resolution recognizes the contribution of
volunteerism to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals and
invites Member States to observe the International Year at national,
regional and global levels.

Estonia has an active and well-developed volunteering sector, with
volunteer initiatives contributing to community development, social
services, youth engagement, and civil society strengthening. Volunteer
activities are supported through cooperation between public institutions
and civil society organizations. The International Year therefore presents
an opportunity to further highlight the contribution of volunteers in
Estonia and strengthen the visibility of volunteer engagement within
national sustainable development efforts.

In this context, we would like to kindly inquire whether the Government of
Estonia has designated, or is considering designating, a National Focal
Point to coordinate national observance and engagement related to IVY
2026.

The designation of a focal point facilitates coordination between national
institutions, volunteer networks, civil society organizations, and the UN
system.

We would be pleased to share further background materials and remain at
your disposal for any additional information.

Best regards,

Zarina Mirabdullayeva

Regional Coordinator for the International Volunteer Year (IVY) 2026

UNV Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia

Email:  <mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked]

www.unv.org <http://www.unv.org/>

 <https://www.facebook.com/unvolunteers>

 <https://www.instagram.com/unvolunteers/>

 <https://www.linkedin.com/company/united-nations-volunteers/>

 <https://x.com/UNVolunteers>

 <https://www.youtube.com/user/unv>