Subject: FW: Urgent - EOPP and the Estonian Code of Civil Procedure
From: "Justiits- ja Digiministeerium" <[email-masked]>
To: "Justiits- ja Digiministeerium" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2025 13:15:26 +0300

From: Madara Rieksta-Liepiņa <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> >
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2025 10:44 AM
To: Anastasia Sanchez Fernandez - JUSTDIGI <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> >
Cc: Linda Vaļte <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >
Subject: Urgent - EOPP and the Estonian Code of Civil Procedure

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

Dear Anastasia,

As an EJN contact point I would like to ask for your assistance in one
matter regarding EOPP procedures.

Accordingly, my colleagues from Civil Law department would like to obtain
information mentioned further:

"In Latvia, it is planned to introduce system-generated decisions within
the national payment order procedure, based on simplified applications and
basic data verification. However, certain general legal issues may arise,
as such decisions would not be made by a judge or any other person. This
could lead to misunderstandings or complications if a system-generated
decision contains errors or simple typographical mistakes.

As we understand it, the Estonian Code of Civil Procedure (CPC) contains
only two provisions concerning the Expedited Order-for-Payment Proceedings
(hereinafter - EOPP)   — Articles 489.2 and 489.3Are there any additional
statutory requirements applicable to EOPP outside of the Estonian CPC?

Do you know of any cases in which an erroneous order has been generated
during the EOPP process? If so, is the appeal procedure in such cases the
same as in other types of proceedings?

Could you perhaps send us a sample of such a decision? It is perfectly
fine if the sample is in Estonian — we can translate it ourselves."

As the question is urgent for them, maybe it could be possible to forward
this to the competent person and look into this as soon as possible?

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing from
you.

Kind regards

Madara Rieksta-Liepiņa

Lawyer

Department of International Cooperation

Ministry of Justice

of the Republic of Latvia

EJN contact point

Šis e-pasts un tā pielikumā esošie dokumenti var saturēt ierobežotas
pieejamības informāciju, cita starpā fizisko personu datus, kas adresēta
tikai tā saņēmējam un izmantojama tikai leģitīmiem mērķiem. Ja esat
saņēmis šo e-pastu kļūdas dēļ, vai nav pamatota mērķa ierobežotas
pieejamības informācijas, cita starpā fizisko personu datu, apstrādei,
Jums nav tiesību izmantot vai pārsūtīt šajā e-pastā un tam pievienotajos
dokumentos ietverto informāciju. Šādā gadījumā nekavējoties
neatgriezeniski izdzēsiet šo e-pastu.