Subject: Circular / Circulaire No 43(26): Publication of the Note on the Application and Interpretation of Article 2 of the 1985 Trusts Convention and on the Institutions Analogous to Trusts
From: "HCCH" <[email-masked]>
To: "National Organ Estonia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2026 12:17:36 +0300

Version française ci-après
Versión en español abajo

a

HCCH 2026 Focused Circular No 43

Publication of the Note on the Application and Interpretation of Article 2
of the 1985 Trusts Convention and on the Institutions Analogous to Trusts

The PB is pleased to announce the publication of the
<https://assets.hcch.net/docs/e8ea9b80-01ce-4494-88d5-852e3dce91d1.pdf>
Note on the Application and Interpretation of Article 2 of the 1985 Trusts
Convention and on the Institutions Analogous to Trusts (“Note”).

The PB recalls Conclusion & Decision (C&D) No 69 of CGAP 2026, in which
CGAP, following a silent approval procedure, approved the Note, including
its Annexes A and B, and mandated the PB to publish it.

The Note was finalised by the Working Group established by CGAP in 2025 to
review and complete the study on the application and interpretation of
Article 2 of the 1985 Trusts Convention and on the institutions analogous
to trusts. The Note built on work undertaken by the HCCH since 2020 in
advance of the 30th anniversary of the entry into force of the Trusts
Convention.

The Note is intended to serve as reference material for legal
practitioners dealing with issues relating to the application and
interpretation of the Trusts Convention and, in particular, the question
of whether an institution may meet the criteria set out in Article 2 of
the Convention.

The PB expects that the Note will serve as a valuable resource for judges,
government officials, legal practitioners, academics, and all others
interested in the operation of the Convention. The Note is also expected
to facilitate the Convention’s effective operation and promote a broader
understanding of its operation.

The Note is available on the HCCH website under “Trusts”, in English,
French and Spanish.

The PB encourages Members and all Contracting Parties to promote the Note
and thanks them in advance for their cooperation.

THE HAGUE, 25 August 2026

To the National and Contact Organs of the Members

To the Diplomatic Missions of the Contracting Parties of the 1985 Trusts
Convention

To the Diplomatic Missions of the Members

  _____

a

 Circulaire ciblée No 43 de la HCCH de 2026

Publication de la Note sur l’application et l’interprétation de l’article
2 de la Convention Trust de 1985 et sur les institutions analogues au
trust

Le BP a le plaisir d’annoncer la publication de la
<https://assets.hcch.net/docs/f76d452d-6dcd-41f9-a889-b8aa92274984.pdf>
Note sur l’application et l’interprétation de l’article 2 de la Convention
Trust de 1985 et sur les institutions analogues au trust.

Le BP rappelle la Conclusion et Décision (C&D) No 69 du CAGP de 2026, dans
laquelle le CAGP, à l’issue d’une procédure d’approbation tacite, a
approuvé la Note, y compris ses annexes A et B, et a chargé le BP de la
publier.

La Note a été finalisée par le Groupe de travail mis en place par le CAGP
en 2025 afin d’examiner et de compléter l’étude consacrée à l’application
et à l’interprétation de l’article 2 de la Convention Trust de 1985, ainsi
qu’aux institutions analogues au trust. Elle s’inscrit dans le
prolongement des travaux menés par la HCCH depuis 2020 en vue du 30e
anniversaire de l’entrée en vigueur de la Convention Trust.

La Note vise à servir de document de référence aux praticiens du droit
confrontés à des questions relatives à l’application et à l’interprétation
de la Convention Trust et, en particulier, à la question de savoir si une
institution peut répondre aux critères énoncés à son article 2.

Le BP espère que la Note constituera une ressource utile pour les juges,
les fonctionnaires gouvernementaux, les praticiens du droit, les
universitaires et toutes les autres personnes intéressées par le
fonctionnement de la Convention. Elle devrait également contribuer au bon
fonctionnement de la Convention et favoriser une meilleure compréhension
de son fonctionnement.

La Note est disponible sur le site web de la HCCH, dans l’Espace Trust, en
anglais, en français et en espagnol.

Le BP encourage les Membres et l’ensemble des Parties contractantes à
faire connaître cette Note et les remercie par avance de leur coopération.

LA HAYE, le 25 août 2026

Aux Organes nationaux et de liaison des Membres

Aux Missions diplomatiques des Parties contractantes à la Convention Trust
de 1985

Aux Missions diplomatiques des Membres

  _____

a

  Circular Específica N.º 43 de la HCCH de 2026

Publicación de la Nota sobre la aplicación e interpretación del artículo 2
del Convenio sobre Trusts de 1985 y las instituciones análogas a los
trusts

La Oficina Permanente se complace en anunciar la publicación de la
<https://assets.hcch.net/docs/ba0fe077-8608-4c4b-b741-46dd46dc33a3.pdf>
Nota sobre la aplicación e interpretación del artículo 2 del Convenio
sobre Trusts de 1985 y sobre las instituciones análogas a los trusts.

La Oficina Permanente recuerda la Conclusión y Decisión (CyD) N.º 69 del
CAGP de 2026, en la que, tras un procedimiento de aprobación tácita, se
aprobó dicha Nota, incluidos sus anexos A y B, y se encomendó a la Oficina
Permanente su publicación.

La Nota fue elaborada por el Grupo de Trabajo establecido por el CAGP en
2025 para revisar y concluir el estudio sobre la aplicación e
interpretación del artículo 2 del Convenio sobre Trusts de 1985 y sobre
las instituciones análogas a las trusts. Se basó en la labor realizada por
la HCCH desde 2020, con vistas al 30.º aniversario de la entrada en vigor
del Convenio.

La Nota está destinada a servir de material de referencia a los
profesionales del derecho que se ocupan de cuestiones relativas a la
aplicación e interpretación del Convenio sobre Trusts y, en particular, de
la cuestión que consiste en determinar si una institución puede cumplir
los criterios establecidos en el artículo 2 del Convenio.

La Oficina Permanente espera que la Nota resulte un recurso valioso para
jueces, funcionarios públicos, profesionales del derecho, académicos y
demás personas interesadas en el funcionamiento del Convenio. Asimismo, se
espera que facilite el funcionamiento eficaz del Convenio y fomente una
comprensión más amplia de su funcionamiento.

La Nota está disponible en la Sección Trusts del sitio web de la HCCH, en
español, francés e inglés.

La Oficina Permanente anima a los Miembros y a las Partes contratantes a
que promuevan la Nota y agradece de antemano su colaboración.

LA HAYA, 25 de agosto de 2026

A los Órganos Nacionales y de Contacto de los Miembros

A las Misiones Diplomáticas de las Partes contratantes del Convenio sobre
Trusts de 1985

A las Misiones Diplomáticas de los Miembros