Subject: Open letter : legislative proposal on genetically modified micro-organisms
From: Cloé Mathurin <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2026 13:05:42 +0300

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

Dear Ministers,

Please find attached an open letter adressed to you by the European 
Coordination Via Campesina, which is an umbrella organisation representing 
European small-scale farmers.

This letter concerns the legislative proposal on the placing on the market 
of genetically modified micro-organisms and the processing of organs 
(COM(2025) 1031).

As this proposal will be on the agenda of the upcoming meeting of EU Health 
ministers on the 16 June, we would like to highlight our deep concerns on 
this proposal, which plans to allow the release into the environment of 
certain genetically modified microorganisms (GMMs) without a case-by-case 
risk evaluation and without analytical traceability requirements, making it 
impossible to remove them if any damage arise after their release release. 
Additionnaly, these GMMs are covered by patents, which could lead to legal 
issues for farmers in case of contaminations.

As explained in more detail the letter, farmers are one of the main managers 
of soil micro-organisms and they are very concerned about the potential 
effects on agricultural systems, wild ecosystems and interactions with human 
health, especially when there is little scientific evidence showing that 
these GMMs will not cause damage.

Given the limited scientific understanding of microbial ecology, the 
potentially serious risks involved, and the possible impacts on conventional 
and organic food production, we urge your government to advocate for a 
rejection of the proposal.

Sincerely,

-- 

Cloé Mathurin

Policy officer

Seeds & GMOs Working Group

European Coordination Via Campesina

Rue Grisar 38, 1070 Brussels (Anderlecht)

[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

+32 2 217 31 12

www.eurovia.org <http://www.eurovia.org>

Working days : Monday to Thursday

 <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> 
Virus-free.www.avast.com 
<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>