Subject: Invitation to the ADR Transposition Workshop – 1–2 October 2026, Brussels
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2026 16:31:55 +0300

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

Dear colleague,

The European Commission is pleased to invite you to the ADR Transposition 
Workshop, organised in view of the entry into force of 
<https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/dir/2025/2647/oj/eng> Directive (EU) 
2025/2647 in January 2026.

This Directive revises Directive 2013/11/EU (the Alternative Dispute 
Resolution Directive) to ensure that consumer ADR remains fit for the 
digital age. Member States are required to transpose its provisions into 
national law by March 2028. The workshop aims to support ADR competent 
authorities by providing a clear interpretation of the main provisions of 
the revised Directive. This should help promote legal certainty, facilitate 
clear legislative drafting, ensure alignment across related national legal 
acts, and reduce the risk of enforcement gaps.

The main achievements of the ADR review are the following:

*	Extension of the material scope to cover disputes arising from digital 
content or digital services where the consumer does not pay a price but 
provides personal data to the trader, as well as disputes relating to the 
pre-contractual stage;
*	Extension of the geographical scope to include disputes with third-country 
traders that are willing to participate;
*	Introduction of the duty for traders to reply to ADR enquiries within 20 
working days: While traders may refuse to participate where national law 
does not provide for mandatory participation, they must at least respond to 
communications received from the ADR entity. This new obligation will help 
traders become more familiar with the ADR process and, as a consequence, 
increase their trust in and engagement with ADR;
*	Efficiency gains for ADR entities, including the possibility to bundle 
similar disputes against the same trader and to use digital technologies to 
support faster and more consistent outcomes. At the same time, safeguards 
are introduced for both consumers and traders: they have the right to 
request a human review where such technologies have been used to reach an 
ADR outcome. In addition, digital tools used in ADR must be accessible and 
inclusive, while alternative non-digital procedures should remain available 
for consumers who genuinely need them;
*	Establishment of ADR contact points, which will support both consumers and 
traders in understanding ADR in the cross-border context and provide 
assistance where needed. Member States are required to entrust the operation 
of these ADR contact points to the European Consumer Centres or, where this 
is not possible, to consumer organisations or other bodies dealing with 
consumer protection.

Logistical information

The workshop will take place on 1 and 2 October 2026 in Brussels, at the 
Thon Hotel EU, and will be held in English only (without interpretation). It 
will provide a dedicated forum for participants to exchange experiences, 
discuss implementation challenges, and identify practical solutions that may 
facilitate the consistent application of the revised ADR Directive across 
all EU Member States.
Participants from the EEA countries, enlargement partners, industry, 
academia and other stakeholder groups are also invited. We kindly ask ADR 
competent authorities to nominate only one in-person participant. As the 
workshop will be held in a hybrid format, additional participants may follow 
the plenary sessions remotely.

Please find attached the draft agenda for the ADR Transposition Workshop.
To ensure that the workshop responds to participants’ needs and 
expectations, DG JUST is inviting participants to contribute to all 
sessions, including the panel discussion and the World Café sessions. Your 
input will help foster a practical and enriching exchange among authorities 
on the interpretation and planned transposition of the various provisions. 
To allow for a dynamic and balanced discussion, each contribution should 
last no more than 10 minutes, be delivered in English, and include concrete 
examples. If you would like to share your ongoing work related to the 
transposition in the panel discussion or a short presentation on one of the 
4 topics assigned to the World Cafe, please send an email to 
<mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked] by 28 August 2026.

Registration

If you wish to participate in the ADR Transposition Workshop, please 
register via the link 
<https://ec.europa.eu/eusurvey/runner/ADR_Transposition_Workshop_2026> HERE 
by 28 August 2026.
The European Commission will cover transport and accommodation costs for one 
participant per organisation/country. Please note that you should therefore 
NOT book your own flight as it will not be possible to get reimbursement. 
Once your registration has been confirmed, the contractor will contact you 
regarding the travel arrangements.
If the Single Point of Contact cannot physically attend the workshop in 
Brussels, another ADR Competent Authority representative could be accepted. 
All ADR Competent Authorities are welcome to join the event online, via 
Webex. Link will be provided to those who register.

Should you have any further questions regarding the programme, logistics or 
registration, please contact the organisation team on: 
<mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked].

Regards,
JUST Consumer ADR Team

European Commission
Directorate-General Justice and Consumers

Directorate B – Consumers
Unit B3 – Consumer enforcement and redress