Subject: FOR ACTION: Expression of interest to contribute to ECDC/EFSA Scientific Opinion on avian influenza
From: "ECDC respiratory viruses" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "ECDC Info" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 13:23:46 +0300

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on väljastpoolt asutust saabunud kirjaga. Tundmatu 
saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

To:         The Viral Respiratory Diseases Network Coordination Committee 
and Operational Contact Points for Influenza (microbiology and epidemiology)

Cc:         National Focal Points for Viral Respiratory Diseases, National 
Coordinators

Dear colleagues,

ECDC together with EFSA have been requested by the European Commission to 
draft a joint Scientific Opinion on avian influenza on preparedness, 
prevention, and control measures for zoonotic avian influenza by:

a.	assessing the risk posed by H5N1 clade 2.3. 4.4b, and other avian 
influenza viruses and, if possible, quantify the risk of mutation of avian 
influenza viruses and to identify the factors that influence the mutation 
frequency of avian influenza viruses in birds and mammals towards zoonotic 
virus.
b.	providing a comprehensive set of prevention, protection and preparedness 
measures following HPAI H5N1 and other AI virus findings in birds and 
mammals, in particular for:

i.	surveillance indicating which avian influenza surveillance tools are most 
suitable and which factors need to be considered for optimising an avian 
influenza surveillance programme with a view of addressing zoonotic risks; 
and
ii.	the prevention, biosecurity and control measures to reduce the risk of 
zoonotic avian influenza.

We are looking for experts on avian influenza and influenza surveillance- 
epidemiology and virology, to contribute to the Scientific Opinion.

The deadline for the Scientific Opinion is December 2024.

During the coming 6 months, the experts will be kindly asked to:

*	Advise ECDC and EFSA and provide their expert opinion on the 
aforementioned topics (related to virological as well as public health 
prevention measure aspects) as requested;
*	Contribute to the draft Scientific Opinion at specific timepoints during 
the drafting period (July-September);
*	Review the final draft (October);
*	Fill in DoIs;
*	Be co-authors in the report (to be published on the EFSA journal and on 
ECDC website).

We would be grateful if you could express your interest by 31 May EOB by 
sending an email to  <mailto:[email-masked]> 
[email-masked] and  <mailto:[email-masked]> 
[email-masked]

Following the expression of interest deadline, instructions will follow on 
how to proceed.

Many thanks and best regards,

Angeliki Melidou

On behalf of the ECDC respiratory viruses and legionella team

European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC)Gustav III:s boulevard 40, 169 73 Solna, Sweden

Phone +46 (0)8 58 60 10 00

 <https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/> www.ecdc.europa.eu

Follow ECDC on:

 <http://www.facebook.com/ECDC.EU>

 <http://twitter.com/ecdc_eu>

 <http://www.linkedin.com/company/ecdc>

 <http://www.youtube.com/user/ECDCchannel>

Confidentiality Notice
If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby kindly 
requested, to, consecutively, refrain from disclosing its content to any 
third party, delete it and inform its sender of the erroneous transmittal.