Subject: Report by CEE Digital Coalition and PwC: "The ICT sector in the CEE countries as a regional driver of growth"
From: "Michal Kanownik - CEE Digital Coalition" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 11:00:32 +0300

Dear Minister,

On behalf of CEE Digital Coalition, an informal gathering of 19 digital
and advanced technologies industry organisations from Central Eastern
Europe (CEE), bringing the region together on its digital path and
collaborating to boost the digital transformation of the region’s economy
and informational society, I am honoured to present the latest report by
CEE Digital Coalition and PwC: “The ICT sector in the CEE countries as a
regional driver of growth”. The document, presented for the very first
time during the recent Three Seas Summit and Business Forum in Vilnius,
Lithuania, covers the information on the development of the digital
economy in CEE countries, based on relevant indicators and data, and
taking into account regulations at both the national and EU levels. This
document is intended not only to summarise the state of the digital
economy in the countries discussed, but also to indicate possible
directions of development of the ICT sector.

The digital economy and the Information and Communications Technology
(ICT) sector in Central and Eastern Europe has witnessed significant
growth and transformation in recent years. This region, comprising 11
countries, has emerged as a hub for technological advancements,
innovation, and digitalisation. The importance of the digital economy and
ICT sector cannot be overstated. It plays a crucial role in driving
economic growth, creating job opportunities, and enhancing the overall
competitiveness of the region, especially as Europe is making an effort to
reach the goals of the Digital Decade, aiming to empower businesses and
people in a human-centred, sustainable and more prosperous digital future.

With the increasing global demand for digital services and technologies,
CEE has positioned itself as a significant player in the digital market.
With a population of almost 100 million CEE, the region accounts for 12.3
percent of EU GDP. The economic growth of the CEE countries participating
in the initiative continues to grow despite recent crises. In the coming
years, the region may close its gap to Western Europe in the digital
economy. Indeed, the CEE business leaders predict technological change as
the main driver of transformation in the next three years, with 57% of
CEOs in the region indicating its importance. Share of employment in the
ICT sector in Central Eastern European countries has reached 4,8%
(compared to 4,1% in Western Europe). Share of ICT value added in total
value added in CEE is now at 5,7%.

In order to better understand the significance of the ICT sector and
digital economy as a while, asses their current state and identify the
most promising factors and technologies, which will determine their growth
in the years to come, we have prepared “The ICT sector in the CEE
countries as a regional driver of growth” report. I hereby invite and
encourage you to read the attached executive summary and the entire
publication
<https://ceedigital.org/assets/pdf/CEE_Digital_Coalition_Report_2024.pdf>
.

I am convinced that the data presented and conclusions drawn from the
findings of our latest report provide valuable insight and may serve as a
noteworthy basis for shaping the EU’s strategy and policies related to the
digital economy.

I remain at your full disposal and will gladly answer any questions
regarding the Report and the activity of CEE Digital Coalition.

Sincerely,

Michał Kanownik
Initiator of  <https://ceedigitalsummit.com/> CEE Digitial Coalition
President of Digital Poland Association